Here’s a wrap of of the AWW Challenge in 2013, focussing on reviews of YA Speculative Fiction. We had 104 reviews, of books by 47 different authors. The most reviewed authors were:
- Andrea K Host (10 Reviews);
- Melina Marchetta (9 Reviews); and
- Paula Weston (7 Reviews)
Jessica Shirvington, Jaclyn Moriarty, Katie W. Stewart, Karen Healey, Margo Lanagan, and Isobelle Carmody wracked up 4 reviews each in the YA speculative category (they may have had more in the general Speculative Fiction category).
The book with the most reviews is Paula Weston’s Haze, with 5 reviews, closely followed by Karen Healey’s When We Wake, Jessica Shirvington’s Between the Lives and Melina Marchetta’s Finnikin of the Rock with 4 reviews each. I’ve read all of these, and strongly urge others to pick them up too 🙂
Books I wish had more reviews are:
- Hidden by Marianne Curely – it’s angel themed, which I know turns people off, but it’s set in Australia and absolutely brilliant, in my opinion!
- Saltwater Vampires by Kirsty Eagar – actually, Kirsty’s books in general. Her writing is hanging and captivating, her stories tinged with elements of Horror.
- When the World Was Flat (And We Were In Love) by Ingrid Jonarch – Strange Chemistry are yet to publish a book I haven’t liked, and although I haven’t read this, I was expecting it to gather a bit more interest than it has.
Books to look out for in 2014:
- Enmity by E.J. Andrews – April 2014 by Harlequin AU
- Disruption (Disruption #1) by Jessica Shirvington – March 2014 by HarperCollins AU
- Peacemaker by Marianne De Pierres – April 2014 by Angry Robot Books
- While We Run (When We Wake #2) by Karen Healey – April 2014 by Allen & Unwin
- The Cracks in the Kingdom (The Colors of Madeleine #2) by Jaclyn Moriarty – March 2014 by Pan Macmillan AU
- Broken (Avena #2) by Marianne Curley – March 2014 by Bloomsbury Sydney
- Shimmer (The Rephaim #3) by Paula Weston – mid – late 2014 by Text Publishing – not the last one, there’s one more *yay*
- This Shattered World (Starbound #2) by Amie Kaufman – late 2014 by Allen & Unwin
- Blood Queen (Lharmell #3) by Rhiannon Hart – April 15th 2014 by Curtis Brown Digital (looks like it’s only coming out in digital)
I’ve made up a Goodreads list for all the Australian YA SpecFic. It’s by no means comprehensive – I did it as a rush job and plan to expand on it as the year goes. Please feel free to add to it!
Hi! I’m Shaheen from Speculating on SpecFic, a book blog dedicated to works of speculative fiction – fantasy, science fiction, magic realism, paranormal romance and much more. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t love reading and use my blog to peddle my love to others. When not reading (rare times indeed), I can be found completing my PhD in Astronomy and Astrophysics.