When I look back, 2018 seems to have passed by in a blur. But taking time out of each month to read and curate AWW reviews of children’s books gave me a great sense of satisfaction and pleasure. It was a reason to press pause on whatever else was happening, and immerse myself in the world of children’s literature, viewed through other readers’ eyes. I look forward to reading all the reviews to come in 2019!
A total of 88 books were reviewed in 2018 (up from 72 for the previous year). 111 reviews were linked to the blog (up from 87 the previous year). Interestingly, only two books gathered multiple (more than two) reviews during the entire year.
A total of 87 authors were reviewed. The majority of authors appeared only once – even though many have written multiple children’s books. Authors who had more than one of their various titles reviewed were: Kate Forsyth, Jacqueline Harvey, Susannah McFarlane, Ursula Dubosarsky, Leah Swann and Renee Treml.
The most prolific reviewers:
- Ashleigh Meikle @ The Book Muse (22 books)
- Amanda @ Mrs B’s Book Reviews (12 books)
- Anna Greenwood (7 books)
- Amy @ Lost in a Good Book (6 books)
- Jess @ The Never Ending Bookshelf (6 Books)
- HM Waugh (5 books)
Australian Women Writers and Illustrators featured heavily among the Children’s Book Council of Australia (CBCA) Awards this year. Winners were announced on 17 August, which you can view via this link. Around half of the winning books have already been linked to the AWW blog, but it would be wonderful to see all winners (and shortlisted books!) linked to the blog.
2018 CBCA Book of the Year Award Winners not yet linked to the AWW blog include:
- How to Bee by Bren MacDibble (younger readers 8-12 years)
- Henrietta and the Perfect Night by Martine Murray (younger readers 8-12 years)
- The Very Noisy Baby by Alison Lester (early childhood 0-7 years)
- Hark, It’s Me, Ruby Lee by Lisa Shanahan, Lisa and illustrated by Binny (early childhood 0-7 years)
- The Great Rabbit Chase by Freya Blackwood (wordless picture book category 0-18 years)
- Left and Right by Lorna Hendry (Eve Pownall Award)
- Koala by Claire Saxby and illustrated by by Julie Vivas (Eve Pownall Award) by Rovina Cai (Crichton Award for New Illustrators)
My last Children’s Roundup was posted on 18 December 2018. Six books were reviewed between then, and the end of December. However, I’ll include these titles in next month’s Roundup, which is due 19 February 2019.
I hope you’ll continue to post your reviews to the Australian Women Writers Challenge this year. You can sign up to the challenge here at any time. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to write and link reviews – your efforts can make a big difference to an author.
In awe of words from an early age, reading, writing and banter have become an obsession of mine. As a mother of two (who are growing up faster than I’d like), I am passionate about instilling a long-lasting love of reading in children. I am excited about joining the AWW team and sharing my love of children’s literature with you.